If you’ve been wondering how you can use your PC’s Internet connection on your Sony Ericsson A200 mobile phone, then wait no more because I have the answer for you!
But first of all, let’s make sure that your phone is really running the A200 platform – right now there are K530, K630, K850, V640, W890, W910 & Z750 running this platform, but more will come in the future. The easiest way to know if it’s A200 or the old A100 is by looking at the softkeys – if there are two softkey options in the phone, it’s A100, if there are three, it’s A200. Quite simple, right?
Anyway, lets get on with it. Please note that you must have PC Suite 3.0 installed on your computer and you have to have had the phone connected to the PC first, so all drivers have been installed and are working. Also please have in mind that I’m running a Danish version of Windows XP, so my translations might not be totally accurate with the English ones – and it may not be the exact same way to do this on Vista!
Now, first of all go to Menu -> Settings -> Connectivity -> USB -> USB network -> USB network type and choose Via computer on your phone. Also make sure that your phone shows the USB mode-menu when plugging it to the USB cable.
Next go back to Connectivity and then Internet settings where you choose to Allow local connections.
Connect your phone to your PC via the USB cable. Once you’ve done this you should have a new LAN Internet connection on your PC. If you have any doubts about which one it is, you should be able to see the text “Sony Ericsson Device 117 USB Ethernet Emulation NDIS-5” in the right one (at least this is what is shown on my PC with my K850).
- Next press the Configure a home or small office-network in Network connections on your PC.
- A guide will now pop up. Press Next, Next, mark the “Ignore network hardware that is not connected”, Next, choose the first option (This computer has a direct connection to the Internet […]) and press Next.
- Now choose your primary Internet connection and press Next.
- Next up mark only the LAN connection created by your phone (in my case it’s called LAN-forbindelse 3) – press Next.
- Again press Next, and now you must type in a name for the network – I’ve called mine for K850.
- Now the guide will ask you if you want to enable file sharing – there’s no need for that, so just disable it.
- After you’ve done so, it’ll configure the connections – this may take a few minutes (once it completes, just close the guide).
Lastly go back on your phone and go to Menu -> Settings -> Connectivity -> Network sharing -> and change the Workgroup name to the one you said on the computer (in this case K850).
That’s it! Now you can browse the Internet on your A200 mobile phone via your PC’s Internet connection 🙂